Thursday, November 23, 2006

Writing and stuff

I came up with a few plots for some short stories and Sarah suggested I run with the one with which I least want to run.

I also know Sarah reads this blog so I'm just going to be my usual self when I announce that particular story is underway, but I'm adding one or two twists to it which will render the typically female penchant for the slightly mystical as a non-issue. And rather than make it some sort of short epic tale of romantic heroism, I'm going to turn it into a farcical comedy without changing the overall plot. I also want to avoid having it come across as a cheap version of As Good As It Gets or The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

But like I said wherever I said it, it'll be a cold day in hell before I write a romance.

I'm promising myself to write a minimum of 500 words per day on it so it should be done in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Whilst I was ego surfing google, much to my horror, I encountered something which I should have seen coming, but decided to ignore anyway, which is the modicum of care I took to keep the MSN side of my net activities separate from everything else has seemingly backfired and my nick now appears under the headings of almost every kid I've met on the other side over the last 13 months. They've all added me to their lists of friends.

Anton called me a creep today, as usual, but that's ok. I almost pissed myself laughing during the conversation I had with him. Such a sharp lad. I say one thing, just one thing - even if it's a mis-spelled word that doesn't ring the right bell with him and he checks it out. Today the word was "Font" as in "font of knowledge". He checked that word out to make sure I wasn't sneaking a spelling error in under his radar. He came back and told me I could have said "fount" and thereby not caused him that particular bit of discomfiture. How could I not love that guy? Who else could possibly be so contemptuous yet somehow remain inoffensive at the same time.

Even Dayle had to agree that he's a funny guy and she barely knows him.

I revisited something I did on Amazon about 5 years ago too. It still makes me laugh, and though I know it's sorta sad to say that, it just happens to be true.

http://www.amazon.com/ChatRat-s-blatt/lm/3SK3V1LMP9054

I've also been thinking it's high time I put out another Swamp but I just think I've moved on a bit since then, especially since I barely even keep in contact with anyone who still subscribes to it. God only knows how many bounces I'd get if I put one out now and my preference these days is for blogging anyway. One I put out earlier is really rather good. No wonder I'm in such a good mood. All I need right now is someone to annoy and my day would be so fulfilled. :)

7 comments:

ChatRat said...

Thou needest to defend thyself against... MOI???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

pwned!


btw... MWAH!

Anonymous said...

Not! and Eww!!

Took me awhile to place where I'd read it, but whatever, Your synopsis -


"The nation is brought to a standstill at the news of a high profile kidnapping.

Our hero, listening to the radio at work is mostly unmoved. He has no idea who this person is who has been kidnapped so why should he pretend to care.

The face of the kidnap victim is splashed all over the news that night and every night for the next week - this is an outrage that has shocked the nation.

From nowhere, our hero gets a flash of inspiration about where the victim might be. He's certain of it and takes off out of the blue, totally without warning, to the other side of the country because he just knows where the victim is - even though he's never set foot in the state before.

He finds the destination pretty much exactly as he'd pictured it in his mind and his feelings about it are so strong he's immobilised with the raw emotion of it. He phones home on the batphone to a mate to get over there as fast as he can to resolve this situation.

His mate, worried out of his mind, alerts the police and together they find our hero still rooted to the spot almost 24 hours later. The victim is indeed found in the abandonned warehouse but now all sorts of questions are being asked of our hero."

And, I said -

"I think a collection of short stories would be ace, Paul. I love the synopses for the kidnapping one, just that little bit had me wanting more.

You're so cool!!"

(serious re-think on that last statement :-/

THEN, you said-

"I came up with a few plots for some short stories and Sarah suggested I run with the one with which I least want to run.

I also know Sarah reads this blog so I'm just going to be my usual self when I announce that particular story is underway, but I'm adding one or two twists to it which will render the typically female penchant for the slightly mystical as a non-issue. And rather than make it some sort of short epic tale of romantic heroism, I'm going to turn it into a farcical comedy without changing the overall plot. I also want to avoid having it come across as a cheap version of As Good As It Gets or The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

But like I said wherever I said it, it'll be a cold day in hell before I write a romance."

"The rodent doth protest too much, methinks."

Anonymous said...

Protesting is what the rodent does best.

Anonymous said...

I always thought you had the gift of the gab, Rat...

*Smile*

As always - with my best wishes, Paul...

Cheers!

ChatRat said...

And the story you picked out wasn't ever going to be a romance, I just dropped that in as an afterthought, given there were four synopses - and not one of them was even remotely a romance.

I don't protest too much, although I do do it rather well, in my never very humble opinion. It's not what I do best though.

And Cham, you've known me long enough so I guess you're a pretty good judge of my gifts :)

As for fucking off, it's my blog. Fucking off would be kinda counter productive to its continued existence, n'est pas?

Anonymous said...

lol Hey - I'm a great judge of your gifts, Paul.

I know perfection when I see it...Takes one to know one, you Rat. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeh,
We are on fire,
We have desires,
But one is that way,
One backstreet boy is gay,



But we don’t want to be mean,
Since now he’s a queen,
Don’t ask me,
Which backstreet boy is gay?

He is on fire,
His back perspires,
Won’t say (won’t say won’t say) WHO’S GAY(Whoaaaaaa)


Ok we’re all gay